Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Celebrating The Holidays With 1950's Cracker Appetizers

Retro Cracker Party Appetizers: When Cream Cheese Was Welcomed

Crackers....I'm thinking about the holidays in the 1950s when my dad would decorate crackers and serve as appetizers. I can picture him taking a pastry sleeve filled with cream cheese and applying the creamy spread ever so carefully to the crackers. Next he would cut pieces of lox and dress up a few rows of the cream cheese crackers. He might add cut up olives on top of the lox or leave a few plain ones for me (I'm not an olive lover).

After the cream cheese crackers, we would have the tuna fish crackers topped with a little tomato garnish. Another favorite was egg salad with a dash of Paprika.

Today, my party kitchen is loaded with Hummus and Avocado dips. My grown kids would never touch dairy and have an aversion to anything with Mayo.
Oh, how I long for some 1950s nibbles.

Vintage image from the collection at http://gogd.tjs-labs.com/gallery-view?year=1954


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

1 comment:

ShareThis