Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Way Off The Beaten Path Looking For Antiques And Collectibles

Getting Lost When Out Antiquing

When you are out antiquing, one small move out of the ordinary and you could find yourself on a country road in new territory. Some people frown because they are not where they are supposed to be. For me, it is as blessing in disguise. I love getting lost while out antiquing and discovering the smaller shops that just may not be on "the antique maps" that so many owners get together and print.

Following The Antique Trail To A Point

Don't get me wrong, local antique maps are great for following the trail of antique stores located in a particular geographic area. But often, the maps do not tell the whole story. Shops come and go and often the descriptions on these printed pamphlets can be deceiving.

Good Junk Or A Dump

Over the years, how many of us have been burnt, holdng one of these antique maps in our hands, and showing up in person to a store which sounded good on paper but is a miserable DUMP.  We eagerly thought we would be walking into a treasure trove when in reality we walk into the equivalent of
poop palace.

Good Junk Is Appetizing

Now let's be clear...there is JUNK which is fun JUNK.  But there is also JUNK that belongs in the trash.

Here is what I call junk that belongs in the trash .... lots of wet, smelly, moldy
boxes and bins filled with dusty, rusty,  broken garbage. There is very little in the way of collectibles, vintage or desirable anything.

Orderly Junk In An Organized Shop A-1 RATING 

On the other hand, a great junk store  (or collectibles shop) has a mixture of everything and is relatively a neat and somewhat organized place that is kept up. You enjoy poking through piles, boxes and front porches.
In a great store, you are not terrfied that something "live" will jump out at you. Photos  shown are from The Junk Shop Of Canton , CT  a  shop with an A-1 JUNK RATING.

Readers feel free to  share your thoughts. Also tell us about your A-1 Junk haunts.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

2 comments:

  1. Dianne! Couldn't agree more! Husband David and I have a rule of thumb: If you're going to just pile boxes of junk nose-high in a dimly-lit, musty basement or garage, that's fine... I don't mind digging. But don't then think you can charge "Lah De Dah Antique Store" prices for the stuff. And if the junk is yard sale and auction box lot rejects that have been mouldering for months, don't get all huffy if I try to haggle over something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please check out my favorite shop: Auntie Q's in Moriches, NY 11955. It is my favorite for two reasons; first, it meets all the criteria you have named in your above article AND it is MY shop!
      I try very hard to find odd-tiques, old-tiques and fun-tiques and maintain my shop in an organized fashion. I keep "materials" (silver, brass, etc.) together, colors within a category together, and generally have merchandise grouped by category (e.i.: dolls with dolls, etc.)
      I am just shy of 5'2" and my shop has a vaulted wood ceiling. I have all sorts of things hanging from the beams, sitting on shelves above everyone's heads and generally try to utilize all of my "real estate!"
      As a result, I MUST say to every customer, "Be sure to look up, but watch your head!" This just makes good business sense in that I engage and speak to every customer that walks through my door!
      Please go to my facebook page and check out how my shop is organized!
      https://www.facebook.com/AuntieQinBarntiqueVillage

      Delete

ShareThis