Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Picky About Buying And Selling Kitchen Collectibles: How The Kitschy Collector Is Different From The American Pickers

Buying Kitsch N Stuff

Terrific kitchen collectibles
do not hang around anyone's shop for long. And need I tell you how hard it is to come across good stuff anymore. Some people swear by tag sales or yard sales, while others prefer flea markets or auctions for shopping. And then there is me.....I just can't get up early enough for sales!

Strolling Ar
ound Shops Looking For Kitchen Collectibles

So, I take my time going out hunting. I prefer strolling around other shops finding a few gems here and there and re-selling them.

Unlike The American Pickers: I'll Pass On Rust

And unlike the American Pickers, I pass over anything with rust, chips, cobwebs, dents etc. The gals (and guys) who buy from me, expect vintage kitchenwares in great condition. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want nasty old car parts or bicycle skeletons (The Picker stuff) To each his own. I'm happy with teacups and kitchen canisters, while Mike and Frank adore old rusty oil cans . You can't drink tea from an old oil can (or maybe the pickers can!) .

Hunting Or Blogging?

And I'm not saying you can't find fabulous stuff at a flea market or a garage sale, I'm just saying I can't get up that early anymore. (I'm too busy blogging!). I'm so frustrated going to a flea market mid morning and the dealers are already getting ready to pack it in. After all they have been on the field in the wee hours of the morning ( I am still asleep). How about a flea market for sleepyheads!

Wheeling and Dealing: The Art Of Buying Vintage Housewares


Often my profit margin is very narrow. But I pride myself on buying kitchenwares and housewares in very good condition. And I look for bargains, so that can pass the deal onto my buyers. I also have my favorite colors, styles and categories, especially favoring "cute", "adorable" and "colorful" kitchenwares for the Colorful era (1930s, 1940s, 1050s) .
Never Plan When You Are Hunting For Kitchen Collectibles

And need I tell you, you can never plan what you will find. You might think you are out shopping for tablecloths and you stumble upon beverage glasses (which you don't need). BUT the price is right and you know you will kick yourself if you don't come home with yet another set of glasses.

Stumbling Across The same Old Thing

Or you go out shopping and it seems that you keep finding the same things for a few weeks. Like you have a "bowl" week or a "planter" week etc. And you always find good deals on stuff you already have plenty of.

It's a Hard Job "Picking" Kitchen Collectibles
Rarely do I hit the jackpot like Mike and Frank on The American Pickers. I put in a lot of leg work for a few dainty doilies. Afterall it is a lot easier to come across a barn of rusty guy stuff than to discover adorable kitchen collectibles in fine condition from the 30s, 40s, 50s.
C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. That is right the early worm gets the worm!

    the flea markets around here are getting much later now back in the 60's-70's I would be spending $$ at dawn, now the same market, people are still driving in at 9:am and then setting up. I am not out there as early as I once was, but now I have breakfast before doing my chasing the treasures, where before used to do some running before breakfast.

    Dianne, you cannot ride on your kitchen ware, in my antique car, I can drop down the convertable, and enjoy the day, I can cruise it just like you like the accessories like your hot pads to go with all your kitch stuff, we like the tim signs, packaging, oil cans, toys to match, to accessorize our family rooms or garages, and yes some of us do get dressed up to match our vehicle as age of vehicle.

    Yes I have some pyrex in the cupboard, just cause it has been in the cupboard for years and I use it all the time.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of kitchen kitsch! Your flour sifter is darling and the rooster is too!! I agree with you about early morning hours. I am just not ready to shop when everyone else is.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I'm not allowing myself to bring home any more projects either. There's not enough time to do them for myself, let alone the shop. If I got a penny for every idea though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. in the antique car, motorcycle, tractor field we can have a restored vehicle, might cost us $10,000 up to $100,000 to do a frame off restoration on a car, to make it like new.
    or in the antique furniture we can have restored items, both fields we would assume not to and have original but, we can not have a cake & eat it also.:-)
    where as in your canister sets their is not enough $$ in them to make it worth while to restore them, and they are everywhere.

    Have a great day
    Craig

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis