Thursday, December 24, 2009

Fifites Pink and Black Colors Back In The Kitchen

Flashback to the Fifties

Did you ever notice that when you are out antiquing that certain color combinations will trigger a sudden flashback.

This is what happens to me when I see the colors pink and black together. I first starting start smelling tuna fish and then my childhood appears. Why does this happen you ask? Because I am a child of the fifties..... and pink and black were hot colors back then! But why the tuna fish connection? Hang in there...this will make sense in just a moment.

Triggering Memories

My tuna fish salad sandwich on Wonder bread was stuffed into a brown paper bag and then packed into the lunch compartment of my black and pink school brief case. That brief case smelled of tuna fish no matter whay my mother packed each day.

I can picture this school bag as clear as day. Oh, how proud I was to carry a brief case. It was back in the 1950s when young gals wore navy skirts, white blouses and red ties on Fridays, the Assembly Day. These were the days when we played house or school, helped mom in the kitchen and imagined our own dream house some day.

Pink and Black is Black in The Kitchen

Today, many collectors are charmed by pink and black kitchen-wares. Interesting enough, younger collectors as well as baby boomers like pink. And major houseware manufacturers are also showcasing pink and black housewares, textiles and accessories. Because there is a trend to return pink and black back into the kitchen, be extra careful that when buying original 1950's kitchen-wares that you are actually buying authentic and not vintage style. Many small and large appliances are also being reproduced in these pastel colors...so buyer beware.

Where to Buy Original l Vintage Pink and Black Kitchen Collectibles and Textiles


http://www.picnicbyellie.com/

http://www.rickrack.com/tc3.html

http://www.cdiannezweig.com/

http://www.jazzejunque.com/

http://www.preservecottage.com/home.html


C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. hey there, thanks for your comment at my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the pink and black dishes u have here on this page and wondered if you can tell me more about them? are they anchor hocking? I think I may have a few of these and wondered what they are worth? any help would be appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis