Thursday, November 19, 2009

Using Vintage Pails and Buckets to Display and Store "Stuff"

Using Porcelain Enamelware Pails for Storage

When I was collecting kitchenwares to go on the cover of my first book Hot Kitchen and Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s, I fell in love with the porcelain enamelware pail now a key element of the cover. I remember paying $45.00 for the pail and thinking that I just had to have it.

Truthfully, I also thought I was nuts to spend $45.00 on an a utility pail. But the money was well worth it as the cover turned out terrific.

Stuffing Goodies

In that pail, I was able to stuff lots of collectibles, creating a very inviting look. The pail not only only organized the goodies but gave the reader a unique idea about how they might use a pail in their home.
-->
Kitsch n Stuff

Now the pail resides in my shop Kitsch N Stuff at the Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford. I believe, this famous bucket is now "hosting" all my vintage kitchen gadgets and tools.

Double Purpose Your Collectibles

You see, when you are short on space in an antique mall or shop, you need to "double-purpose" everything you have to economize on your space. I have two lovely retro metal kitchen garbage pails hanging out in my garage because I simply do not have any additional floor space to display these wonderful kitchen garbage pails.

I thought about letting the pails hang out on the top shelf of one of my display cabinets or shelving units, but getting them down would be a pain.

Using Vintage Waste Paper Pails for Remnants

My friend Pam of www.vintagepastelle.com always comes up with uses for pails, buckets and large containers. She is the master of "stuffing" as you can see in the photos showing how rolls of wallpaper and gift wrap can be stored in an vintage waste paper pail.

We All Have Plenty of "Stuff"

I have a feeling that if you are reading this post, you too have a lot of "stuff". Collectors are well known for holding onto everything. Now at least you can keep your "stuff" in vintage pails and turn your piles and clutter into attractive functional "displays" .

Read More:

You will find lots of display and storage ideas in my second book, "Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes'

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis